Saturday, April 3, 2010

Get Ahead of Your Day

Ever get to lunch and wonder where your morning went? Ever get to 5:00 and wonder where the whole damn day went? Or in the restaurant business, the example would be arriving at Saturday and wondering where the week went.

Its impossible to cram 25 hours into a day, but many of us in this business have tried and even more have prayed to the Gods of beer & time wishing for just one more minute.

Early in my management career, I figured out the secret to beating time and getting ahead in the day. For you, I will now divulge this top secret method. The secret is not really so secret, but I like to think I have it all figured out. And I can break it down into three simple steps.

Step One:

Love what you do and be passionate. The easiest way to fall behind and accomplish nothing is to be apathetic about what you do. Apathy leads to procrastination. Procrastination leads to 6:00pm and a to do list still untouched.

Step Two:

Prepare for your day. This is the most important and easiest way to be excellent and successful in what you do. When preparing for a day in the restaurant, or any business, there are some things I have done and highly recommend. (Adjust accordingly for your likes and personality.)

Always make a list starting the night before, at the end of your work day. It is amazing how much time you will free up for the next morning when this task is completed the night before. Don't think of this as work. Do as I would do and accomplish this task as you sip a frosty beverage after work.

Step Three:

Start the day early. When opening the restaurant, I would routinely arrive 1-2 hours before needed. My favorite way to begin any day is sipping some fresh brewed coffee while I read the morning paper. Listening to ESPN Radio or some music is the best way to get the day going. I call this getting into my day and it is essential to my success.

I am currently sitting in Caribou Coffee in the Columbus, Ohio neighborhood of Grandview Heights. I am in full prep mode for the day.

Early arrival will give you a chance to actually accomplish that morning walk through you never get to. Or plan accordingly when you find the ice machine has malfunctioned on the hottest day of the year. Or call in some back up when you have a string of emails with staff calling of work. (Funny how those come in at 5:00am after a big party night).

These two hours in the morning are the best part of the day. It gives me a chance to clear my mind and prepare for the day. As I said, adjust accordingly to who you are. If you are an exercise fiend, maybe you will head to the gym to clear your mind and mentally prepare.

Regardless, follow these two steps and you see an increase in productivity, success and most certainly find that extra hour you've been searching for.


No comments:

Post a Comment